Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Purpose Post

Every modern document contains a "Purpose Statement", and anyone who runs across this small plot might want the digital equivalent, so I begin by explaining myself.

In brief, the pragmatic reasons this blog exists is for two purposes:
  1. Fulfill Paul's command in 1 Timothy 4:15. I wish to grow in my knowledge of God, His Word, the study of theology and living out faith.
  2. I hope to become a destination for theological questions. Many struggle with the meaning or implications of the Bible, and I would like to [attempt to] thoughtfully answer every question readers may have.
In April of 2011 I was installed as an elder at Christ the King Church, and since then I've been increasingly involved in theological discussions, discipleship, counseling, and other pastoral duties. Part of my personal growth has come from reading, and I'm hoping to round this out by writing, hoping to "practice these things", "immersing myself in them", "keeping a close watch on myself and the teaching" so that by God's grace some may be saved. Your job is to hold me accountable, so I expect correction, reproof and dialog.

I have debated for a while whether or not I should actually start a blog. There are many inherent dangers--mostly pride related for me--but I believe the benefits outweigh the potential drawbacks. I have read and reread the posts from Justin Taylor's collection of blogging counsel, but in the end John Piper won.

Growing in godliness and trying to shed light on the Scriptures are just means to a bigger end. I want these tracks to lead to the final destination of glorifying God. This cannot be about me, really, I'm too small. My prayer is that this points to God, the glory of God, the grace of God, the riches, mercy, love, holiness, power and perfection of God:

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
    “For who has known the mind of the Lord,
    or who has been his counselor?”
    “Or who has given a gift to him
        that he might be repaid?”
    For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
(Romans 11:33-36 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment